~Educators contribute to the profession~

Throughout practicum 491 I upheld standard 8 by contributing to the profession in multiple ways. I continuously collaborated with my Triad to share ideas. I was able to share a past unit I had created for my 490 practicum (Perspective, opinion, and bias in Media) to one of my Triad members who was doing a very similar unit in her current 491 practicum. I sent her resources and was able to suggest multiple adaptations and modifications so that the unit would work with the particular group of students she had.

I also contributed to the profession by providing both of my CTs with new resources and ideas for units. I explored the community (public library, Kelowna heritage museums, other teachers in the district etc.) in order to find new, relevant ideas and resources to include in my original unit plans. I passed on the information to my CTs so that they could include it in their teaching moving forward. For example, I created a “poetry reconstruction” activity and assessment for my grade 12s, that my CT will be continuing in the future, and used a book with my grade 9s that my CT has now ordered class copies of in order to use them in the future.

I also continue to post professional posts on Twitter in order to communicate and interact with other teaching professionals not only around the province, but around the country. I have often posted something where another educator would like further information on the way I facilitated the lesson plans or units, such as on the Indigenous myths and legends unit I created for my grade 9s  in practicum 490.  I also had many educators private message me about the process of creating an interactive timeline which I did with my grade 9s in practicum 491.

Several of the books I was able to share with my Socials Studies 9 CT

Throughout practicum 491 I have also made sure to have a continued presence on Twitter in order to share and collaborate with teachers around the province! Here is an example of a post that shares some experiential Syilx learning in Kelowna, BC.